Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Guest Post: C.R. Moss- Fiction from Real Live





In my most recent release, Wild West Weekend, written together with my writing partner RM Sotera, the characters I wrote about – Cassie and Dakota – were reunited after not having seen each other for years. They had known each other as children/teenagers, and through life's circumstances, lost touch with each other until Cassie returned with a friend of hers.

This story slightly mirrors my own. In January it'll be my 18th wedding anniversary. My husband and I met in middle school and became friends. We lent each other books (I think he's the one that got me hooked on Stephen King) and tapes (I had borrowed a Heart tape from him in high school and forgot to give it back to him before we graduated. He got it back eventually. After all, my stuff became his and vice versa.) We had a handful of classes together in high school—honors Bio, physics, gym classes, and a history class he remembers me cutting a lot of in our senior year. After he received his driver's license and car, he would pick me up and take me to school. We'd have lunch together on occasion with the guys. Needless to say, we were good friends. I felt comfortable talking to him and sharing aspects of my life.

Then there came the one moment in my life I sometimes wish I could go back and change, but in retrospect am glad I can't, otherwise I may not be where I am today. He asked me out in our senior year, wanted me to go to a hockey game with him and some of his friends. I was dating someone at the time and for some reason told my boyfriend that I was invited to a hockey game with my guy friends. The BF didn't like the idea of me going out with a bunch of guys, even though they were just friends, so I turned down the hockey date. Things became strained between my future husband and me. The guy I was dating ended up cheating on me several months later, which is why I sometimes wish I could go back and tell him to F-off and that I didn't need his permission to go out with friends. But I also know that if I dated my husband in our senior year we probably wouldn't be together today. So high school ends, DH and I go our separate ways.

Years later, I'm in a restaurant waiting for a friend of mine and up walks this other man who wonders if I am who he thinks I am. Turns out it was my friend from high school. We started dating that weekend. Nine months later we were engaged. Three months later, a week shy of our one year of dating, we were married. (No, it wasn't shotgun. He was in the military and due to be stationed in Texas in preparation for duty in Korea. So we wanted to get married before he went on tour.)

Even after all this time, he's still my best friend (like Cassie and Dakota are in their story). I've grown to love him more and more over the years. He knows me better than myself. Sometimes that's not good, but most times I am grateful for it—keeps me from getting in trouble. He's seen me at my worst and my best. We're each other's biggest fans and staunchest supporters—though after reading a couple of my stories he's mentioned he wonders about where my mind goes, and I wonder how he can do marathons and iron-distance triathlons. We read each other's minds a lot and have weirded out our friends when we do it around them. We laugh at the same stuff and have close viewpoints on the world around us. Don't get me wrong, we aren't tied at the hip and we still have our 'differences' and 'discussions.' But we know how to be on our own, continue to pursue separate interests to keep our sense of self and to communicate so 'discussions' don't blow up into WW3 arguments. It's just a matter of trust, of love and of being friends. And just as that is in real life, it's also reflected in my fiction.

Thanks for stopping by!
C.


Find C.R. here ~
Website: www.crmoss.net
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/crmoss
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crmoss
Blog: http://crmoss.blogspot.com/

"CR Moss is one of the best story tellers I have ever read, and I look forward to each new release!" Rie McGaha, author of Blood Line

C.R. Moss ~ Worlds of Possibilities ~ www.crmoss.net

No comments: