Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Writing From the Hart


So I've been writing now "professionally" for about 9 years, well 8 years and 6 months. I count my writing year starting in September. Not sure why, maybe because it's the same time I actually moved to Charlotte, although that was 14 years ago now. I've been writing since I was a kid because I always loved to create stories.

During the years that I have written anything, there have been times where I have come stopped for a second and thought, "Do I really want to quit writing?"

I'm not talking stopping writing altogether because I don't think I could do that, but stopping it as a business and sending stuff out into the world and see who reacts to the crazy that has sprung from my head. Sometimes seeing the sales are disheartening because yeah I would love to quit the day job and write full time. There are also the days where I get into a funk and just say screw it. My writing sucks. Everything I do sucks. Why do I even bother with it anymore? I don't get much of a response from people so, who is going to miss me if I stop writing? I am a small fish in the huge and ever widening sea of authors and what does it matter if I cease sharing part of my own slice of crazy.

It would certainly make my life easier and give me time back so I can pull away from the computer.

But then I give it a day or so, and even if the question still lingers in the back of my mind to dispose of everything, the stronger sense in me is to keep on sharing. Not because I know I'm going to make millions. But because I love sharing the words I create with everyone. No matter how disheartened I get.

As a teenager, I would write stories and shove them in my friends' faces to force them to read what I had done. Although sometimes the marketing aspect of it makes me feel that way too, I try not to get down and dirty splashing every other post on social media with the diatribe of "Buy My Shit" cause we all know that gets old. Fast.

I guess what I've been trying to say over the whole thing is that no matter what my mind says, I am following my heart. Even if you are thinking about giving up the writing, just stop and think a minute.

It isn't about making the money or seeing how many books you can sell. It's about giving into the instinct within your heart and appeasing the screaming muses so you can get your story out there. Even if you decide to step away from the publishing industry, don't give up writing.



No comments: