Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bloodsucking Fiends











 Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore was a book I cam across in a dollar stationary store that was about a block from my work in Boston. At that time I was a freshman in college and working as a psychic. It was stuffed behind other books and only cost me about $4 or $5 bucks which was great since mine is hardback. Of course the cover with the vampire on it did it for me right away. I wasn't reading much in those days that wasn't vampires. Tarot books, palmistry, and light reading. I was even reading books on tealeaf readings and symbolism. I'd only been doing readings for a few months so I was trying to figure out what I was doing while trying not figure out the psychic part too.

Anyway, I fell in love with Christopher Moore. He's a very funny guy. So after that I was hooked. I went out and got all I could find and emailed him about writing more on the vampires. Years past and he did You Suck which is great and now I find out # 3 Bite Me! is coming out in March so I'm stoked.

If you haven't read him I suggest picking up one of his books.

But the real reason I, writing about the book is that I picked it up again after not reading it for several years. It's more of a nostalgic thing because it brings back a time in my life that I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do, the people I had around me, and the people that I sorely miss now a days. Living far away sucks. Facebook helps some. But it's been 12 years since I walked into the Tearoom not knowing what I was going to do and being scared to death I was going to mess something up. I mean telling people about their lives that's a big deal. Then again, not going crazy with the abilities I have either was another plus.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the way my life has turned out. Things happen because of choices etc, but they happen for a reason. The move to New Orleans never happened. I wanted a normal life and well my life is never normal. Every time I still try to read I loose my voice. Read or Write. Well I choose writing.

At my grandfather's funeral everyone complimented me on writing and that my grandfather was proud of me, but he just couldn't read anymore vampires. Well it makes sense as they weren't his cup of tea. For years he'd been asking me about a Fantasy Novel I have on the virtual shelf and if I'll ever get it published. I still don't know because it's a monster and it needs a ton of editing and rewriting. One day maybe. I think he liked it because at that point there was no sex in the books. I only started writing "erotica" when I was in mid-twenties so not very long.

 Everyone asks me who my favorite character is. The main one that I love to write about and that crops up in many of my books is Azrael, the angel of death. I'm not afraid of death. He's a very interesting fellow. Sometimes he's kind and others he's a bastard, but in the end  he is all about the greater good.

No comments: